Cape Leeuwin WaterwheelThe Cape Leeuwin waterwheel and wooden channel were built in 1895 to
bring fresh spring water to the lighthouse keepers' cottages and to supply water for the stone masons who
were working on the Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse.
The fresh water was supplied by a spring in marshland approximately 330m away. The natural fall
from the spring created a flow over the wheel which revolved and activated a ram pump that delivered water via a
pipe to the lighthouse.
The waterwheel eventually became encrusted with a coating of limestone and is now frozen in rock