Hamelin Bay Jetty Hamelin Bay Jetty was built in 1882 by the M.C.Davies Karri & Jarrah Company Ltd to service the local timber mills. The company also
built the Flinders Bay Jetty in Augusta to use during the winter months, as it was protected from the
westerlies, the winds which made Hamelin Bay so trecherous.The original jetty was 600m long and was capable
of berthing three ships at a time. The ships were loaded using steam cranes. The M.C. Davies Karri &
Jarrah Company Ltd operated in the nearby Boranup Forest and the Karridale Mill provided timber for the waiting ships via a railway line.
The railway (3'6"gauge) ran the complete length of the jetty, where cranes would unload the timbers directly
from the carriages onto the waiting ships. The timbers were then sent around the world and often used in road and
wharf construction. In its heyday the area was a popular recreational destination for the timber workers who
would swim and fish off the jetty. M.C. Davies often held boating regattas in Hamelin Bay , providing some welcome light relief from the heavy work.
Today, only a small section of the jetty remains, a sad reminder of a once busy port.
Links To Other Well Known Jetties in WA
One Mile Jetty
Flinders Bay Jetty
Old Bunbury Timber Jetty